Help open this new State Park!Castro Adobe is the first State Historic Park in the Pajaro Valley
Located at 184 Old Adobe Road, Watsonville, the two-story Rancho San Andrés Castro Adobe, built between 1848-49, is one of the finest examples of a rancho hacienda in the Monterey Bay area. Friends is leading a multi-year restoration effort to preserve and interpret Pajaro Valley’s first State Historic Park in partnership with California State Parks. Follow the progress on the Castro Blog.
Vaqueros on the Rancho
Saturday, May 6, 1-4 p.m.
Learn about and celebrate the vaquero traditions at Vaqueros on the Rancho, a fundraiser to support the creation of Castro Adobe State Historic Park. Get tickets!
At 2 p.m., two traditional vaquero-style horsemen on horseback will share aspects of early vaqueros along with how and why the culture is maintained today. Jeffery Mundell and Victor “Buddy” Montes will demonstrate the gear along the art of using a 60-70 foot rawhide riata for “big loops.” Learn how the traditional vaquero’s knowledge of land comes into play today with grassland conversation programs.
The event also will include:
- Light refreshments
- Artisan and craftsmen wares on display and for sale
- Tours of the Castro Adobe
Tickets are $25 each and additional donations are gratefully accepted to support the opening of Castro Adobe State Historic Park. All donations and ticket sales will be matched 1:1 toward the opening of the park — up to $317,920 — by the James & Carol Toney Fund.
Stewardship Party at the Castro
Saturday, June 10
This is a ticketed event. More information will be announced soon, including how to purchase tickets.
2017 Open House events
The Castro Adobe is open on a limited basis. The park will be open to the public one Saturday each month this year.
- Beginnings at the Adobe, Jan. 21
- Romance on the Rancho, Feb. 11
- Luck o’ the Castros, March 18
- Vaqueros y Bandidos, April 22
- Women of the Castro, May 13
- Papas of the Castro, June 17
- The Castro Adobe in the American Era, July 22
- Evening at the Adobe, Aug. 19
- The Pajaro Valley in the Mexican Era, Sept. 16
- Earthquakes and the Adobe, Oct. 14
- Thankful for Our Stewards, Nov. 18
- Festivos en el Rancho, Dec. 9
The open houses will be 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., with the exception of the August event, which is 6-9 p.m. All events are free to attend; donations are gratefully accepted. Parking is limited; please carpool.