Help open this new State Park!Castro Adobe is the first State Historic Park in the Pajaro Valley
Located at 184 Old Adobe Road, Watsonville, the two-story Rancho San Andrés Castro Adobe, built between 1848-49, is one of the finest examples of a rancho hacienda in the Monterey Bay area. Friends is leading a multi-year restoration effort to preserve and interpret Pajaro Valley’s first State Historic Park in partnership with California State Parks. Follow the progress on the Castro Blog.
Boho Castro, a Bohemian-style fundraiser for the Castro Adobe
Saturday, June 10, 5-8 p.m.
This is a ticketed event. Cost is $75. Tickets are available on Eventbrite.
Join us for a Bohemian-inspired gathering to honor the Castro Adobe stewards from the past and celebrate recent progress toward opening the Castro Adobe State Historic Park.
Step back into the 1960s at the Castro Adobe, a time when the Jowers family owned and cared for the property. Relive the Jowers’ good times, when an eclectic ensemble of their artistic friends made the Castro Adobe a Bohemian center of arts and culture.
Boho Castro will also pay tribute to the Jowers’ iconic Aptos restaurant, the Sticky Wicket, by featuring foods modeled after the original menu as prepared by Mickey’s Catering. Beer by Corralitos Brewing Co., wine from Storrs Winery, and made-to-order tea and espresso will be served.
• Artisan Cheese with Crackers and Fruit
• Bite Size Crab Cakes with lemon Aioli
• Toasted Points Topped with Top Sirloin and Horseradish Aioli
• Black Bean Burger
• Stuffed Vegetarian Mushrooms
• Avocado stuffed with Bay Shrimp Salad
• Mini Cheese Burgers
• Chicken Satay served in lettuce wraps
• Cherry Tomatoes stuffed with Goat Cheese
• Pigs in a blanket
• Individual Apple Pies
• Mini Chocolate Orange Cheese Cake
The Sticky Wicket outdoor concerts evolved into the Cabrillo Music Festival thanks to Lou Harrison, Robert Hughes, the Jowers and others. Boho Castro will highlight this connection with live music at the event. Enjoy Lone Prairie, a vintage Western band, of which former Castro steward Joe Kimbro was a member. Also featured will be harmonica player Brendan Power (Laura Jowers’ partner). Brendan Power has recorded with Sting, Kate Bush, James Galway and other luminaries, played in the Riverdance show and performed on the Oscar winning soundtrack for the movie “Atonement.” Recorded Lou Harrison music will also be played.
Period dress is encouraged!
This event is a fundraiser to support the opening of Castro Adobe State Historic Park. The following sponsors and supporters have helped make this event possible. Thank you!
2017 Open House events
The Castro Adobe is open on a limited basis. The park will be open to the public one Saturday each month this year.
- Beginnings at the Adobe, Jan. 21
- Romance on the Rancho, Feb. 11
- Luck o’ the Castros, March 18
- Vaqueros y Bandidos, April 22
- Women of the Castro, May 13
- Papas of the Castro, June 17
- The Castro Adobe in the American Era, July 22
- Evening at the Adobe, Aug. 19
- The Pajaro Valley in the Mexican Era, Sept. 16
- Earthquakes and the Adobe, Oct. 14
- Thankful for Our Stewards, Nov. 18
- Festivos en el Rancho, Dec. 9
The open houses will be 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., with the exception of the August event, which is 6-9 p.m. All events are free to attend; donations are gratefully accepted. Parking is limited; please carpool.