- This event has passed.
World Migratory Bird Day
May 12, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
One event on May 11, 2019 at 10:00am
On Saturday, May 11, California State Parks and the Santa Cruz Bird Club invite you to fly, walk, bike or drive to World Migratory Bird Day at Natural Bridges State Beach. This event is FREE and fun for the whole family!
In the late 1800’s, people were surprised to learn that birds actually flew hundreds or thousands of miles to and from different locations. Even now, we often have no idea of how far birds travel, and how they know when and where to go on their challenging and often heroic twice-yearly journeys. These flying future mothers and their mates depend on essential stop-overs on their migratory flyways for refueling and resting. Natural Bridges, with its large variety of different habitats, is one of those vital locations on the Pacific Flyway. Come join the Migration, and learn how to enjoy and support the birds on their journey!
Come learn about the hows & whys of migration, and how you can help, with:
- a variety of guided bird walks “on the top of every hour” for different levels
- Family bird walks led by The Bird School Project
- bird “listens” (bird by ear), a safari to identify birds by their calls and songs
- educational booths
- information on how to build nesting boxes
- Ideas and plant information for creating an inviting backyard habitat
- a FREE app for identifying a bird by answering 5 questions
- crafts, a bird migration game, and face painting for the children
- a mini-workshop on how to identify local birds by their call and songs
- You can borrow binoculars if you need them for our walks
Early bird walks start at 8am, with all other activities & booths from 10am – 3pm.
Call in advance to ensure a space at the mini-workshop, the bird walks, or the bird “listens”.
Natural Bridges State Beach is located at the end of West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz. For more information, call the park at (831)423-4609, or visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=541.